Rainbow Bay History
Captain Henry John Rous named Rainbow Bay in 1828 after his ship, the 28-gun frigate HMS Rainbow, while he was on commission to find suitable new fertile lands.
He journeyed in a whale boat up the Tweed River and in the process he recaptured 9 escapees from the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement.
A military outpost briefly existed after this on the headland at Point Danger.
The outpost was created to intercept any other escapees from the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement.
Click here for
"Life in Rainbow Bay"
by Sophie Carter